Unstretch Goals

scalesThis is going to be a bit of a personal post, so if you’re here for the books and the books only, be warned. Last December 3rd I did something big. I started to change my eating habits in order to lose weight and get to a healthier place for myself. And it’s been going amazingly well and every kilogram lost is motivation to keep going, but still it’s nice to have goals to work towards. And with goals come rewards. Of course, being the bookworm I am and rewarding myself with chocolate or something similar would rather defeat the purpose. So I decided that starting from fifteen kilograms onwards, for every five kilograms I lost, I could read one book I had on my shelf that I really wanted to read, but kept putting aside because review copies. And since I was making a list, I included some review copies I desperately wanted to read as well. I’m calling them my unstretch goals.

Now bearing in mind that I probably needed to lose half of me to get to the proper weight – I actually don’t know the weight I started from, as I didn’t want to discourage myself beforehand with how far I’d have to go – the following list is rather long and I might not need them all or perhaps I’ll need more as I truly have no idea of how much I need to lose. Anyway this is the list:

Emma Newman – All is Fair
Myke Cole – Breach Zone
Mark Lawrence – Emperor of Thorns
Scott Lynch – The Republic of Thieves
Lauren Beukes – The Shining Girls
Amy McCulloch – The Oathbreaker’s Shadow
Kate Forsyth – The Wild Girl
Elizabeth May – The Falconer
Elspeth Cooper – The Raven’s Shadow
Anne Lyle – The Prince of Lies
Paul Cornell – London Falling

Now why put this on the blog? There’s three reasons really. I wouldn’t be human if I didn’t admit that part of it is that I’m really super proud of myself for taking this step and actually making it work. I’ve been overweight ever since I was eight, so I can hardly remember a time where I wasn’t fat. So this is partly me showing off and sharing my pride. But it’s also that I want to show people that it is doable. If a sedentary, office-dwelling bookworm such as myself can do this just by cleaning up my eating habits and moving a bit more, than perhaps other people like me can do it as well and it doesn’t have to be a terrible struggle. And finally, it’s to keep me honest. It’s another way of making myself accountable. You can be the stick to the carrot of the books.

I had my latest weigh-in this afternoon and as of this moment I’m at a total weight loss of eighteen kilograms, which means I get to read Emma Newman’s All is Fair next week. Here’s hoping that next month’s weigh-in will mean that I get to read Breach Zone!

photo credit: chrisinplymouth via photopin cc

m4s0n501
Posted in article and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post. Leave a trackback.

10 Responses to Unstretch Goals

1. Renay says:

I’m so excited for you! \o/ Awesome work. :D

2. Erin says:

So wonderful and such hard work, congrats on your loss and on getting to tackle those books :)

3. Mieneke says:

Thank you, Renay and Erin!

4. kim says:

This is inspiring. I’m fighting my own weight-loss as well, which is not helped by my having broken my ankle right before Christmas. I was really on track before then, too; in fact, I broke it while walking the dog. Since then, however, I’ve gained some of it back due to the forced inactivity, sadly.

So good luck to ALL of us!!! And that is a super idea of rewarding yourself with books. I may adapt it to my own strategy, except I’m thinking of buying more books ;^)

• Mieneke says:

Oh that’s unfortunate, kim! It’s was actually ankle problems that finally pushed me to actually get to grips with my weight. So fingers crossed you heal soon and can get back on track :)

5. Hanneke Adema says:

Dear Mieneke,

We are so proud of you and admire your strength!

Hanneke en Jet

6. Lynne says:

Congratulations!! That is a fantastical weight loss (sorry – couldn’t help myself) and I wish you well on your journey to the weight you wish to be. I always say weight loss is harder to achieve than giving up smoking, because at least with smoking you aren’t having to face temptation every time you open a cupboard or enter a supermarket.

• Mieneke says:

Thanks, Lynne. And quitting smoking was definitely easier (I quit smoking almost a decade ago) than changing my eating habits and losing weight.

7. Congratulations. Losing weight is hard work, but it is sooooo worth it. I’ve lost 50 pounds, and I’m working on my last 15 now. I swear, the only thing that has worked so well for me is bribing myself with books like you are doing. Works wonders.

I am so proud of you!